Create and edit text files
Here are some links and resources to learn more about vim and emacs- the two most prominent text editors in the *nix world.
- Typing vimtutor at the command prompt gives an excellent walkthrough created by several individuals at the Colorado School of Mines.
- The Vim Tips Wiki
- Ben Kuperman's Vim Page
- Vim Quick Reference Card
- Vim Cheat Sheet
- Syntastic is a linter interface for vim for multiple languages. (Requires linters to be installed separately;i.e.,
pip install pylint).
- Pathogen is a package/plugin manager, much like CRAN or CPAN.
Odds and ends:
- Switch from less to vim- ':wv'.
- Check before replacing in vim :s/foo/bar/gc'
- Display line numbers in vim : http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Display_line_numbers